Thursday, March 24, 2016

That’s Not Music!-“Stressed Out” by twenty one pilots

Installment #2 of my new weekly series "That’s Not Music!": Jaded Dad Reviews Pop Songs

This week's song: “Stressed Out” by twenty one pilots



Writers: Tyler Joseph

Chart Position (as I write this): #3 and holding steady

Amount of Times I’ve Heard This Song (Estimated): twenty one

Instrumentation/Structure: Verse, Pre-chorus, Chorus. And weird instrumentation. Synth-y. The band has a drummer, but I don't think these are real drums? How does that work?

Unforgivable Lyric: “My name's 'Blurryface'”

I guess it is a reference to the rest of the album, which is a "concept" album, and "Blurryface" is a character in it. Weird to reference it in your single, though. But points awarded to this song for being weird. Verses sort of reminiscent of a prepubescent Eminem if he read more books and was less angry, and pre-chorus and chorus that remind me of... Supertramp? Cool that they got it on pop radio.

I like that the song is written by the singer, that's pretty unique for a song on pop radio. Not a fan of Mr. Joseph's verses, though, but one white guy criticizing another white guy's raps is like... silly.

This song relies too heavily on nostalgia to not suck. That being said, I identify so much with the lyric "Wake up, you need to make money." Presumably so do a lot of other folks hence the song's success. Adulthood is the worst. Nailed it, twenty one pilots.

My kids’ opinion: Four-year-old loves it; 18-month-old is indifferent

My opinion: I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me; the uniqueness helped. I don’t change the station.

Other Notes: "twenty one pilots" is a stupid band name, and all lower case? Just, come on. You're from Columbus, man. Stop taking yourselves so seriously.


If you please, leave a comment and let me know what you think about "Stressed Out" or my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.