Sunday, February 9, 2014

Run outside naked into the snow and ice and see how much you like it


Fun fact: You can run three times more errands by yourself than you can with a toddler. Did you know that? For example, by myself I can do the all the grocery shopping, go to the post office and go to the bank in the time it takes me just to walk to mailbox with my toddler.

He loves to run errands with me. So I have to take him along, or else leave him weeping and wailing with my wife, and then have to face her after I come back.

The main problem I am having is that running errands with a toddler includes getting him dressed, a problem compounded by winter weather. He can shed all of his clothes in under five seconds, and it doesn't matter how many layers or how long it took to get him dressed, it always takes him only five seconds to be stark naked just at the time we need to run out the door. It goes like this:




As I put his clothes on for the second, third or nineteenth time I try to reason with him: "But it's cold outside. You'll freeze and die if we don't put your coat and hat on." But we all know that trying to reason with a child of any age is pointless.

He puts up such a fight that one day I finally snapped and said, "Fine! Run outside naked into the snow and ice and see how much you like it!"

I wouldn't really let him of course.

3 comments:

  1. My son used to do the naked dance for us. Now he is so modest..I haven't seen his upper thigh in five years or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't know what the deal is with toddlers.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha. This reminds me of a story my mother in law tells about my husband. Apparently he would frequently strip down as a child, especially if they had some place to go, and finally she got tired of it and one day shut him out on the porch with his clothes and told him he could come in as soon as he got dressed. Mind you it was a cold snowy day in ny. He got dressed real fast.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.