Sunday, October 6, 2013

My mother-in-law drops in unexpectedly PLUS More "classic dad"


The other day I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I busied myself with some other household type tasks while the cookies were cooling on the counter. When I returned, most of the cookies were gone, and I found myself getting upset (I take cookies very seriously).

Of course the culprit was my son, who is growing faster than I realize and can apparently reach the counter now. He turned up a few minutes later, smiling and covered in chocolate, without the decency to even try and clean himself up. His Blood Chocolate level was off the charts. I was so annoyed I exclaimed, "I can't even eat my own cookies in my own house!" Classic Dad.

It's freaky enough to see me turn into my dad, but now my wife has started to turn into her mother. My son was getting into some mischief and before she could stop herself she blurts out, "How many times have I told you not to do that?" Classic mother-in-law.

It's weird to see my wife do and say things I've seen my mother-in-law say and do. In those moments it's like she has physically transformed into my mother-in-law. For instance, we were sitting on the couch the other night and she gave me a look that was exactly like my mother-in-law. It was as if my wife had disappeared and I was suddenly sitting alone on the couch with my mother-in-law. If you are saying, "That's sounds pretty unsettling," you are right.

A couple of minutes later my wife tried to cuddle up to me, and I hastily shooed her away. I couldn't cuddle with her, not with her looking exactly like my mother-in-law. 

Nothing against my mother-in-law, but you see how that would be weird.

8 comments:

  1. I am not my mother. I am NOT my mother. I AM NOT MY MOTHER.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, it was. But I just went to the store and bought some, so all's well that ends well.

      Delete
  3. Bahahahaha. I am my mother more than I'd like to admit. But even freakier, sometimes the Little Mister looks like my mother in law and this disturbs me more than you can imagine (I keep this fact to myself because knowing her she'd be flattered and never shut up about it).
    Yesterday I muttered, "It's a bit nippy" (as in breezy and cold) as we walked up to a viewing platform where we could look at a dam we had driven out to see. On purpose.
    I don't know what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes my son looks like my father-in-law, and that is EXTREMELY unsettling.

      Delete
  4. I am determined not to be like my dad, but I find myself saying very opinionated things like he does lately — and it's frightening. Sometimes I think it's just inevitable that we'll end up like our parents because it's engrained in our DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty well inevitable, isn't it?

      Delete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.