Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tiger takes it on the road

The local weekly alternative paper recently had a “flash fiction” contest and I entered. I didn't win, of course, but I had a blast writing it. The prompt was “a dead cat, an old car and a backyard at sunset” and the word limit was 119. Here it is:


Tiger takes it on the road

“I'm so dead,” Tiger hissed as he pawed the gearshift and put the car in reverse. Plaster, wood and masonry fell away as he backed out of the new car-sized hole in the back of the house. Driving was harder than it looked. He shifted back into drive.

Tiger had spent hours on the windowsill, staring at the old car moldering in the back yard and plotting his escape.

Tiger's owner angrily emerged from the ragged hole as the car roared past. Tiger accelerated around the house, through the side yard and into the front yard. As the car thudded over the curb and out onto the street, Tiger meowed in triumph and sped off into the sunset.


I think I could continue it and Tiger could go on and kill zombies (too cliché?) or hunt chupacabras or something awesome like that. And he could have a dog sidekick. It'd be like The Adventures of Milo and Otis meets Supernatural meets The X-Files.

Anyway, please let me know what you think in a comment.

14 comments:

  1. That sure is a weird story, Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a future in illustration. I'm not even playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sasquatch - So I'm assuming "weird" is a compliment?
    @Miranda - You must be joking. The only future I have is crappy social work jobs forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Miranda, I always enjoy your illustrations.

    Also, the grammar nerd in me enjoys that you didn't use the Oxford comma when writing a list but rather followed the AP guidelines of no comma before "and". Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @christineleigh - Thanks, you're nice. These days I just draw them with Sharpie on sticky notes while I'm bored at work and the boss isn't looking.

    I've also heard it called a "serial comma," and either way I think it's lame. I think I got in the habit of not using the infernal thing from all those semesters of writing on student newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He'll come home as soon as he hears the can opener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...I wonder if there is a newspaper, etc near me that offers this type of opportunity for writing. Your drawing went well with the writing sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous - Nice.
    @athomewithgod - I think I may give Tiger his own page and I'll chronicle his weekly adventures. Or maybe that's just too much darn work. I hardly blog anymore as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, hey, hey! I do not like all this Oxford comma bashing on this page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Miranda - It is super nerdy that we are even having this debate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha that's great! I definitely would enjoy a sequel involving chupacabra hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lozzz123 - Thanks! I'm thinking about how it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. please do write the rest of that. sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.