Sunday, March 11, 2012

IT Madness



Like a lot of people, most of my work is done on a computer, and my computer is down most of the time.

I work for the State of New Mexico and they replace their computers every 20 years or when Halley's Comet appears. The computers go down with such astonishing regularity I have planned my week around the outages. In my work I also have to file and shred a huge amount of documents. I never set time aside to file or shred, I just wait until the computers go down and then I do it. It's a good system, and I am never behind on filing or shredding.

When all the computers go down, the IT department will, without fail, send out an e-mail saying that the computers are down, but no one can receive it because the computers are down. Everyone in the IT department makes way more money than me, by the way.

However, we don't need to get an e-mail to tell us the computers are down. You know the computers are down when everyone is out of their offices and interacting with one another all of a sudden.

Also, the IT department is always “pushing” out new software updates which rarely work at first and bring the system to a grinding halt. And just when I have everything back in working order from the last push and all the bugs are worked out, they push out another software update and everything crashes all over again.

Honestly I think people probably got more done back before computers.

Anyone else have computer problems? Leave a comment, it's fun

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's funny,it's a simple law of science that you can't receive an email when the computer isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my laptop is on its last legs. The battery no longer works at all, which means I can't actually use it like a laptop anymore! The IT guys in my department are pretty great though - besides one guy who comes to fix stuff but then mostly just watches youtube clips on your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work for the FED Gov. only difference between your deal and ours is that we alternate between extremes it's feast or famine. Right now I have the best computer I've ever had in 25 years as a Fed. Emp. So of course now my machine is out of warrantee. So they want to replace it with a piece of crap lap top which will take two entire days to sign on due to all the encryptions etc. needed on Lap Tops(that I don't need or wan't) least I leak some Gov. secret. So it won't work as fast, have as much Ram, or Hard Drive space but it will be under warrantee.

    To sum it up I lose a good machine to get a warrantee (no one I've met has ever gotten something fixed with this Said warrantee) and my 1st hour of the day will be waiting for it to boot up. Then IT will push out the updates that take up the rest of the day. Your Tax dollars at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious!

    I find my computer always breaks down when I am feeling particulary productive.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.