Sunday, February 26, 2012

We're all sick



The snot has really been flowing at my house because we all caught a particularly nasty cold with a large side of hacking cough. We made it this far into winter without catching anything, but now as the weather is getting warmer, we all got sick.

When the epidemic hit I brought it home from work and gave it to Junior. Not deliberately, mind you, we just live in pretty close quarters, so when one of us brings something home, we all get it. I felt pretty bad, though, because he is eight months old and sounded like he smoked three packs a day.

Next, Junior gave it to my wife and then quickly got over it. This left the two of us lying like dead people in a growing pile of our own dirty Kleenex while he happily crawled around getting into things he wasn't supposed to, knowing full well that we couldn't do anything about it. It's scary when a baby is running things.

Now my wife is over it, which leaves me coughing all by myself. I'd go to the doctor but I don't want to talk about the color of my mucus, which is what doctors always want to talk about whenever I have a cold.

I'm also worried about the money. I have insurance, but what does insurance pay for really? I pay a copay when I go in and then get a bill for the rest a few weeks later.

However, I might reconsider going to the doctor after all. One of my co-workers has the same cough and when he went to the doctor he got hooked up with Codeine cough syrup. Sign me up.

I'll pour a little cough syrup over ice, put in a tiny umbrella and sip my way back to perfect health.

Has anyone else been sick? Or have advice on how to care for a well baby while you are sick? Leave a comment, if you please.

4 comments:

  1. I am truly dreading the first time a cough or cold hits our house since bub arrived. I know what I'm like. I'll be torn between panicking about the Little Mister's health and wanting to take a week off from parenthood to sleep and act all whingey and pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has the same thing! Fortunately I haven't caught it yet (knock on wood). We did finally go to the doctor. He was put on antibiotics, however the doc told him to get some Delsym cough syrup. it's a 12 hour and apparently the strongest stuff on the market. And, it helps to put vicks vapor rub on your feet and socks on before going to bed. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm convinced that baby/kid germs are 100% more potent. Within days of working at an elementary school I was sick and I usually don't get sick. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that babies would keep the germ longest, but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.