Sunday, December 11, 2011

Worst Christmas Songs EVER



It's Christmas time and I'm hearing a lot of Christmas music, and not all of it is good. I put together a panel consisting of me, my wife and Brennan and Sara of Stop Their Frequency to determine the worst Christmas songs of all time. We found that terrible Christmas songs generally fall into the following three categories:

1. No effort
2. Creepy
3. Annoying

No effort: These songs are terrible because of the lack of effort or caring on the part of the artists. These artists simply just phone in a generic substandard song, slap a “Christmas” label on it and then kick back and wait for the money to start rolling in. Take Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmastime” with its idiotic lyrics and mind numbing repetition. Sir Paul should be ashamed of himself for selling people rubbish songs under the guise of Christmas music. He’s a knight for crying out loud! The same goes for “Christmastime” by Smashing Pumpkins: same stupidity and repetition, plus the song is creepier than Jacob Marley's ghost thanks to the ghoulish voice of Billy Corgan.

Creepy: A lot of terrible Christmas songs fall into this category. The first that comes to mind is “Baby, It's Cold Outside,” also known as “The Date Rape Song.” If you don't believe us, just look at the lyrics. The guy is pouring her drinks and persuading her to stay, and the woman finally catches on and asks, “Say, what's in this drink?” Ah, Christmas.

A surefire way to get your song onto the “creepy” list is to place Santa Claus into some kinky holiday scenario. “Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'” and “Backdoor Santa” are just two examples of these.

Annoying: “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” is a perfect example. Did it need to be written? No. How did it get popular? No idea. Does it hurt your spine every time you hear it? Yes. Will you hear it at least one million times during the Christmas season? Certainly.

Then there's “Mele Kalikimaka,” which might be a little more palatable if it was written – or ever sung – by actual Hawaiians. Cloying, slightly racist, and repetitive to boot. Fly to Hawaii right now and comb every island and I am pretty sure you will not find one native Hawaiian singing “Mele Kalikimaka.”

Christmas Shoes” rounds out the Annoying list for being didactic in the extreme. It takes a boy buying his dying mother some shoes on Christmas Eve to teach the singer the true meaning of Christmas? Come on.

What does your list of Worst Christmas Songs look like? Leave it in a comment if you please.

9 comments:

  1. Christmas Shoes is definitely awful. And I completely agree with you on Paul McCartney. I think the Chipmunks Christmas song should make the list too. However, if I had to pick one as the very worst Christmas song, it would be Feliz Navidad, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" song. I have to switch the station every time it's on because it gives me the heebie jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE "CHRISTMAS SHOES" WITH A FIERY HOT PASSION! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some versions of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" are pretty annoying too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some versions of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" are pretty annoying too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I guess I'd never fully paid attention to 'Baby it's cold outside'. That sure is concerning. I also had no idea Smashing Pumpkins had a Christmas song.

    A very informative (and troubling) post :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you heard "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas"? Add this to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought that "Santa Clause is coming to town" was slightly terrifying. I'm not sure how I feel about some old man always knowing when I'm sleeping and when I'm awake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about Frosty the Snowman? Tell me it doesn't make Frosty out to be a kiddy-snatcher. "With a corn-cob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal" sounds an awful like an all-points bulletin to me. Now that this bit of the song. "They wandered through the streets of town right to the traffic cop, and he only paused a moment when he heard him holler 'Stop!'. Frosty the Snowman had to hurry on his way, but he waved goodbye saying 'don't you cry, I'll be back again someday'." Okay, so why did he only pause a moment when a traffic cop told him to stop? Did he just see a uniform and get paranoid, afraid they'd discover him? Then why did he have to hurry on his way? And what about what he says to the kids? Don't you cry, I'll be back again someday? It's like something Freddy Kruger would say to his victims! Frosty the Snowman is not a nice person!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.