Sunday, September 4, 2011

Saving money and looking foolish


I just got my hair cut at the local beauty college for $2 and I definitely got what I paid for. Now my hair looks like this:


It all started with me getting a sweet job transfer. Starting this week I get to do my same job, but at a different office that is 50 miles closer to my house. That means no more commute! So I am pretty happy and I wanted to look all clean and make a good first impression when I start at my new office.

Since our baby has been born money has been tight so I went to the local beauty college for “$2 Tuesday.” That was a mistake. “$2 Tuesdays” are fine for fried chicken and getting into the zoo, but when it comes to haircuts I now know it's best not to skimp.

When I first walked in the first thing I saw was about 10 severed heads mounted on tripods. I was startled and thought I had accidentally stumbled into the camp of a tribe of headhunting barbers. Each severed head had immaculate hair and and upon closer inspection I realized they were mannequin heads. The students used them to practice hairstyling when real people weren't around, I was told later. Nevertheless, it was still very unsettling and made the place feel like some kind of Haunted Supercuts.

Maybe the woman who cut my hair just misunderstood what I said. Perhaps the haircut I wanted was lost in translation because describing what you want in a haircut is hard. I've thought about bringing in a picture but that makes me feel like a metro diva.

I thought about getting out the clippers and trying to even it up myself. I think I'd end up having to buzz most of it off to get it even, and my wife said it would be better for me to look like a dork on my first day than a skinhead.

Ultimately, getting your hair cut at a beauty college is kind of like gambling. Sometimes you win and you get your hair cut by the school valedictorian, and sometimes you lose and get the class clown.


Anyone else had problems getting a decent haircut?

5 comments:

  1. funny this also happened to you. Likewise I had the same results except the student I got had only two settings: braids or Robert Pattinson.

    A wolverine would have done a better job mauling my hair into style.

    love ya meng.
    Ra-ool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - I am very loyal to my hairdressers. I've only had 3 major hairdressing relationships in my whole life (after the mullets of my early childhood - thanks, Mum)!
    I don't trust many people!
    My husband used to go to this cheap place where the girl would practically rub her boobs in his face and tell him how she wasn't afraid to steal boyfriends...
    He found it most frightening but he was determined to be thrifty. She always overdid his hair to spend more time with him - soon I had to supervise her haha.

    Oh and congrats on the new office move. That must make life much easier with a bub at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only get my hairs cut twice a year because I am terrified of having someone with scissors inside my personal space!

    Congratulations on the job transfer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. Done that save deal with both the "college" and self inflicted do it myself thing.

    I always touch up my hair to get "closer" to what I meant afterwards. Yes, even those stalker type hair cutting chain places that record your whole life into their data base and what number clipper they used last time. And the all important data tipper yes/no and big tipper, cheapskate, or stiffed again. (Means you'll get Louie/Lois strait from the "college" next time) If your happy and you're going back tip at least 20% really.

    True story had a big job interview did the self inflicted number and it was awful. I went anyway, and the dude felt sorry for me I guess and said I'm not hiring and sent me to a place that was. So looking pitiful got me the 2nd interview and a crappie job to match my crappie hair cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, unfortunately this has happened to me several times at beauty colleges and also at great clips, supercuts, etc. I finally have a decent person that always cuts my hair. More expensive but I'm much happier. I also know the sacrifices a little one brings, though. :) Luckily for you, you'll need another cut in just a few weeks and you can change it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.