Monday, December 13, 2010

A Merry Christmas is just not in the cards

 

I dislike Christmas cards, or rather I dislike sending out Christmas cards. It is not my idea of fun to spend my holiday season rounding up addresses, trying to think of something meaningful to write in each card, addressing envelopes and licking stamps. Now if people sent money after receiving your Christmas card, like a graduation or wedding announcement, I’d be all for it. But they don’t, and I’m not.
Therefore when my wife announced she would be sending out Christmas cards I groaned within myself. I tried to talk her out of it. I tried to deter her by saying that if we were going to send out Christmas cards we would have to include a family newsletter called the “Barben Beacon” that details everything we have done this year along with a color photo of ourselves in festive sweaters. It was a bluff, of course, but it only made her more determined to send out Christmas cards and very angry.
Here I will pause and ask a question: when two women argue, who wins? I ask because it has been well documented that when a man and a woman argue, the man will lose every time. But if two women argue, will the argument go on indefinitely until one of them dies of starvation because there is no man around to lose said argument? But I digress.
As you may have gathered, we’re sending out Christmas cards. I told my wife not to bother with my side of the family or my friends because I communicate with them regularly throughout the year and I say that is good enough. We don't need to get Hallmark involved. Plus, they would be suspicious if they started getting Christmas cards from me all of a sudden.
“I already sent him money when he graduated and when he got married!” they would say. “What more does he want?”
I dislike Christmas cards so much because they are one of many sinister things that put unnecessary stress into a season that should be calm and happy. I get sad when I hear people complaining about how the holidays are so stressful. If Christmas is stressful for you it is because you are making it stressful and you need to chill the heck out and stop trying to do everything.
Here are no-stress ideas on how to handle common holiday tasks:
Christmas cards: E-mail. (You will save a fortune on cards, postage and holiday sweaters.)
Shopping: Gift cards. Or cash. And purge a few people from your shopping list.
Baking: Pillsbury.
Dinners: Chinese take-out.
Parties: Skype.
See? It’s as easy as that. You can thank me later.

Is anyone else anti-Christmas card? Do you have other ways to de-stress for the holidays? Leave a comment if you please.

4 comments:

  1. Bailey's in my coffee on Christmas morning is an excellent de-stresser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Bailey's is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who did the awesome artwork? When I get Christmas cards I feel guilty that I'm not sending cards. And what if you get a card from someone you never intended to send a card to? Do you send a card back the same day so they won't notice you sent them a card just because they sent you one? Sometimes I get warm fuzzies from knowing someone is thinking of me, so if they care enough about me to send a card although I don't have it together these days to send cards, I appreciate their thoughts. Hey, if Carine wants to send cards, go along with her. It makes her happy. And remember that when you have kids, you'll be able to compare yours with everyone else's who sends out those letters telling what magnificent accomplishments their kids are making. By the next Christmas you can make sure your kids are the best, or at least send out a letter that makes it look that way. Love you guys. A. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the artwork, thanks! I'll go along with the cards, but I won't get caught up in it.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.