Monday, June 7, 2010

I've got baby fever and the remedy is hermit crabs

Ok, everyone listen and listen good: Wifey has baby fever for real and I'm panicking. I don't know what to do. I need help.

It's not her fault, really. We're getting more married friends now and a lot of them have babies. When there are copious amounts of babies around you end up holding them and the trap is sprung.

Let's face it: babies are cute. All babies are cute. Even a baby rhinoceros is probably cute.


Yikes. Or not. Most babies are adorable but let's not forget that babies grow up. Nature is the ultimate false advertiser. Talk about a bait-and-switch: cute baby turns into nasty, dirty cranky adult. And the parents have to be there all along the way to clean up after them though all the middle parts.

But baby fever forgets all the “terrible twos” and teenage years. It's kind of like a zombie plague how it infects almost everyone it comes into contact with. Wifey is infected and if I have learned nothing from zombie movies it is that people who are infected take an active role in infecting others, i.e. chasing them down and biting them. Any minute now Wifey will be coming after me, trying to give me baby fever and I am afraid. In movies if your friend gets infected you just have to man up and shoot him in the head, but I think that is a little extreme for this particular situation.

Wifey rated her baby fever as a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, but I've seen her look at babies and I fear that it is much higher than that. My situation is dire.

The best solution I can think of is to get a pet for us to care for, like a hermit crab or something. Hermit crabs are unique because they fight a lot amongst themselves, which is a lot like kids, isn't it? Breaking up fights and mediating shell disputes would be good practice for parenting, I think. I'm not sure Wifey will go for it because, for one, they aren't cute enough.


Also, they “moult,” meaning they shed their old skin periodically. I don't imagine she'll want to clean up old crab skin, but I say if you can't clean up crab skin then you probably can't hang with poop and vomit either.

Perhaps we could get a baby on a trial basis. We could rent one for a weekend and I bet that would get rid of baby fever right away. The only problem is baby fever comes back.

My brother does child care part-time and he said he'd let my wife come over and hang out with a plethora of snot nosed two-year-olds for about an hour. He thinks that will cure baby fever almost instantly.

6 comments:

  1. 1. ah best of luck with your wife. from what i hear wanting a baby as soon as you are hitched up is natural especially when you are surrounded by friends who have babies.

    2. the day care idea is actually a good idea. that has helped temporarily "cure" some of my friends who have gone slightly batty. though most of my friends are not yet married.

    3. i wouldn't say that baby rhino is very cute, but i do love it's "facial" expression. looks surprised

    4. if all else fails show the financial responsibility it takes to have a child. that usually scares people.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally get a small puppy that's only a few weeks old. I got one beginning of this year and it kept me awake all night and pooped and peed in places I did not remember telling it to. I spent a long time trying to teach her manners and I had to keep her company constantly!! It put me off for at LEAST another year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob dost protest too much, methinks...

    I think YOU have baby fever, being as your last two blogs are about babies, so you can't blame it all on "wifey".

    We are looking for someone to watch Kaleo on the 19th while we are tour guiding, so you are welcome to use that as a "cure". However, it might just make you more feverish because Kaleo is pretty dang cute, if I do say myself. He is a handful though.

    P.S. That baby rhino is terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy a puppy and "Baby Mama" - that should fix the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah bro with Sara and I getting thrown into primary it cured any ounce of baby fever we might have had. Also we got a fish and some plants man. No need for babies when you've got a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe Miranda is right. I bet Jacob caught it first and then gave it to me. I'm pretty sure he's the one who first suggested we steal that baby from church.

    And Kaleo might just make the fever worse, but I think Brennan is onto something. Starting with plants is pure genius

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.