Monday, June 14, 2010

Crying over spilled milk

This past week was the worst of my career. Nothing was going right, nothing I did was good enough and it was time for our monthly office meeting. If I were into crying, I would have cried.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse our boss told us that our unit was responsible for bringing food. I got assigned to bring two dozen doughnuts which meant I had to pay money out of my own pocket to feed my co-workers and get bored into a coma in a super useless meeting.

I was feeling pretty low when I arrived at the doughnut shop. Like a true sugar addict and emotional eater I ordered my own little stash of doughnuts to make sure I got some before my co-workers descended on them like so many velociraptors. I also got a bottle of milk to top it off. I was so depressed I splurged and got whole milk.

I loaded everything into my car and headed off to work. While driving I tried to open my milk bottle and it proceeded to rupture and spew milk all over the place like a lactating volcano. Most of the milk landed in my lap and the rest splashed all over the steering wheel, which made steering a tad bit tricky. I was able to keep control of my Geo Prizm and I was ok, but I couldn't say the same for my pants, which had absorbed enough milk to feed a small calf.

After the milk dried my pants smelled like rotten milk. Fortunately this happened at the beginning of the day so I didn't have time to go home and change and I got to go through the day smelling like a cow with udder incontinence.


While I was being bored to smithereens I flashed back to when I was ordering the doughnuts. The doughnut place also sold cupcakes and they had one species called “Ticklebelly” cupcakes. I was really curious what a Ticklebelly cupcake was and what it tasted like, but I wasn't about to order it. I couldn't bring myself to say “I'd also like a Ticklebelly cupcake.” I just couldn't do it. All my manliness would be gone.

Basically I can't order anything that sounds stupid. For example, at IHOP they used to have this one dish called a “Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity” breakfast. Now I don't care how much fruit comes with it or how fresh it is, I would not order a “Fresh and Fruity” breakfast if it were my last meal. I'm not about to say “Can I please have the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity?” out loud to another person. I just can't.

If I ever spent time in the U.K. I would be up a stump because some traditional English dishes are called Bangers and Mash, Bubble and Squeak and Toad in a Hole.

Maybe I could order some online or over the phone, like a Ticklebelly Toad in a Hole place that delivers. Mmmmm-mmm.

5 comments:

  1. A true sugar addict and emotional eater myself, I also suffer (Do I "suffer?") from Inability to Say Lame Product Name Syndrome.

    We should probably both move to the UK and become rail thin. Though in Europe, I took to pointing at menus. I'm afraid I'd find loopholes.

    Ok, let's start a support group, instead.

    I enjoyed this post, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At IHOP, can't you just point to the picture in the menu?

    And in England (my fiancé is British), bangers and mash is so common, that people don't giggle at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A support group would be nice. I am totally down.

    And I COULD point, but then I would seem illiterate or something, and this whole thing is about ego anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading about other peoples bad days always makes me laugh. i dont know why but it also makes me feel bad 1) for laughing at others 2)when i have a bad day i usually make it such a big deal and get everyone else mad when my day wasn't that suckish
    but now you do have me thinking what that doughnut taste like and no i wouldnt order it either

    ReplyDelete
  5. "lactating volcano" almost made me lactate myself

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.