Monday, December 21, 2009

Coming out of the closet on Christmas OR Merry December Gorilla OR It's beginning to look a lot like Capitalism

WARNING: This blog contains the word "womb." I thought I'd warn you since that word grosses some people out. I don't know why, lots of people have them. Not me, but lots of other people do and they seem to be fine.

It’s that time of year again: winter weather, Christmas is in the air and I’m coming out of the closet.

I love winter weather, especially when it’s so cold that my ears hurt. Not just the outside part, either. Some days it’s so cold that I swear my actual eardrum is shivering, which really hurts, as you would imagine.

I love it when the snow stays on the ground, melts just enough to turn to ice and tons of people walk on it, polishing the ice to a lethal pearly sheen. It’s hilarious when other people fall, but I know that, Karmically speaking, I’m due for a fall soon. I’ve laughed pretty hard at falling people and what goes around is certainly coming around my way.

In cold weather I can never bring myself to get out of the shower. I think there is something psychologically soothing about a warm, wet, womb-like environment. While I’m in there my subconscious says to me “Stay! The last time we left a place like this only bad things happened.” The cold, cruel world waits just outside that plastic curtain.

Then there’s always a guy (yes, it’s usually a man) who invariably says things like, “Cold? This isn’t cold! I lived in Alaska for a hundred years. In ’72 it was so cold that all the water froze and we had to lick ice cubes to keep from dehydrating. My eyelids froze open and I got frostbite on both of my pinky toes. I’d be out here in my underdrawers getting a tan but I got cited last time I did that.”

In addition to hilarious ice falls and annoying dudes, cold weather is also associated with Christmas and other holidays. I celebrate Christmas because of the religious significance, but more importantly I like to get free stuff.


The trouble is not everyone celebrates Christmas. For a while it was cool to say “Happy Holidays” and that would cover everyone. People who celebrate Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukah, Solstice, Eid al-Adha and Bodhi Day and anything else were all united by one trite greeting.

Then I found out that some people don’t celebrate anything at all. So much for “Happy Holidays.” I can’t say anything to anybody without the possibility of alienating them. I now treat Christmas kind of like “don’t ask, don’t tell.” I don’t wish people a “Happy” or “Merry” anything. Someone asked me if I celebrated Christmas and I was like, “Yeah, but I'm not out yet.”

Last year we were driving around town in December and one house had a giant lighted version of “The Abominable Snowman” from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. My sister Miranda blurted, “What is that supposed to be, a holiday Gorilla?”

We laughed hysterically but then I thought to myself, What a great idea! I decided to popularize the “December Gorilla.” The December Gorilla could represent the shared evolutionary heritage of all humankind. He would not be affiliated with any religion or previously existing holiday.


The December Gorilla would give bananas to the whole world. He would be cool with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Nudists, Hindus, hippies, people that drive Hummers, vegans and, yes, even Republicans would get a banana from the December Gorilla. He wouldn’t even care if you’ve been naughty or nice. He would spread the banana love indiscriminately, regardless of race, color or creed. What could be offensive or alienating about that?

Unless you are allergic to bananas, in which case you need to find some other holiday, freak.


PS - Check it out: some people are already down with the December Gorilla!



6 comments:

  1. everyone in the the world would get their daily dose of potassium (in December) because of the DG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to figure that New Years kept me covered with Happy Holidays, but then what about Jewish and Chinese New Years (and probably some other new years that I am forgetting).

    I like this December Gorilla plan. Well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, why's everybody gots to be so PC these days?!
    A gorilla wouldn't care. A gorilla would beat its chest and do whatever it liked for the holidays without shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exactly did you come out of the closet in this blog post? I don't know about you, but where I come from "coming out of the closet" means gay-sex stories combined with self-empowerment. Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Though I did enjoy the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came out about celebrating Christmas. Celebrating Christmas can sometimes be like having a different sexual orientation. Some people are supportive, and some people are not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see. I was just messing with you, Divett. Really, I did enjoy the post.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.