Monday, April 6, 2009

I am the homecoming king

Whoever said, “you can’t go home again” is absolutely right. You can’t. Or at least you can’t go home again and still feel good about yourself.

I went home this weekend and it’s just so funny. First of all, when I’m back in my hometown I run into all the people I grew up with. Then we have to catch up and then compare and pass judgements on each other’s lives. Here is an example of a typical “bumping into” someone in a grocery store aisle conversation:

High School Friend: You’re not married yet? You’re not even dating someone? Well I have a wife and, like, six kids. And a dog. And a hamster, even! Do you even have a hamster? Aw, too bad. And what did you get your degree in? Hmmm. Where do you work? Good luck making a living at that! I make, like, six figures and I work from home and I own my own company.

I can deal with that, though. No big deal. I am happy where I am at. The real trouble with “going home” is actually going home to your home of origin, like where your family lives, the house where you grew up. WEIRD.


The first thing that happens when you come home is any growing up you have done while you were away from home automatically goes out the window. This means that no matter how hard they try, no matter how good their intentions are, your parents will still slip up and treat you like a kid sometimes. It just happens. It’s not too bad, really. Mostly it’s just funny.

And then you figure out that you are in some weird limbo space with your siblings. You’re still cool, but you’ll never be one of them again. With my siblings, most of this awkwardness comes because I get along with my parents a lot better these days, so I’m no longer an ally in the War on Parents. We used to have a unified front against the Parents, but now that I’m back and know a little bit about the world I try to get along and help out. To my siblings this is high treason.


So I can never again be a kid in my siblings’ eyes, and I will never truly be an adult in my parents’ eyes. I can’t ever move from this awkward place either. The only way to gain favor in my siblings’ eyes is to fight with the parents, and the only way I can gain favor in my parents’ eyes is to fight with my siblings. It’s very tricky.

They try not to put me in the middle of their arguments, but I find myself there often. My parents say stuff like, “You should tell So-and-So that they should do such-and-such. They’ll listen to you.” And my siblings tell me things like, “Mom and Dad are crazy. You should talk to them. Maybe you could talk some sense into them.”


So I miss my family and then I go home, and pretty soon I don’t miss them anymore. Then I hurriedly go back out on my own again. It’s a good setup.

11 comments:

  1. Haha so true. Although my younger brother and I were at war and it's only now that we're both older that the united War On Parents has just begun...
    Bro used to be on their side, the little bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i moved away from home eight years ago and my parents have since had MORE children!! (second marriage, second family?)
    anyway some of my little brothers and sisters forgot who i was last year!!!!
    what the??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kid, far left in the big family photo looks JUST like someone I know...

    Really, uncanny resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything you said is utterly true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. Doesn't your mom read this? I hope this isn't some mean way of saying, "Look ma and pa-- I'm not coming home for Easter."

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom does read my blog, but she knows it's all in fun. Plus, we've discussed these issues before. And who goes home for Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, i know the feeling. it's not to that extreme because i see my parents on a fairly regular basis, but they still forget i'm not 9 every once and awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People who love their parents go home for Easter. Of course, maybe your parents are tired of you, having seen a lot of you over the last three weeks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I go home, I'll go out and my mom will always ask me where I'm going, who I'm going with, and what time I'm coming back. I have to remind her that I'm not 14 anymore and when I'm at my own home, she doesn't know where I go or if I come home...that puts things into perspective. But a mom will always be a mom like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The diplomatic family member game... I'm an oldest, so I get that.

    It will probably get easier once your other siblings are out of the house too, though.

    In the meantime, good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.