Monday, January 26, 2009

Did you ever know that you're my Guitar Hero?

I have a new roommate. Nobody told me another guy was moving in, he just showed up one day with all his stuff and started sleeping on our couch in his underwear.

I guess it’s fine. I’m never going to be able to sit on that couch again, but I’ll be fine. The new roommate seems like an OK guy, a little on the obnoxious side, but nice enough. I guess it just bothers me that no one asked me about it, let alone inform me that it was taking place.

I had to find out about it by asking one of my roommates, “Who the heck is the guy sleeping on our couch and can we get him some pajamas or something?”

But I guess he is here to stay, so I had better get used to it. I’ve only got four months until graduation, at which time I will move out and put this place far behind me, so it’s not worth arguing about. Plus, I’m too passive to initiate any kind of confrontation.

I asked another roommate why I wasn’t told and he said it was because I’m never around and I don’t ever “hang out,” which is true. That’s probably because I have adult responsibilities like a job, an internship and a full college course load. Fancy that. I’m also trying to have a social life outside of my apartment and Facebook. So yes, I will be out of the apartment from time to time.

The good thing is the new roommate does seem to blend in with the old roommates, so some days I don’t even notice he’s here. Often he’s just another dude watching sports while yelling at the television, playing video games non-stop and making huge messes in the kitchen.

I’m just jealous, really. Just once I’d like to be the one waking up at noon. Just once I’d like to spend all of my waking hours watching television, eating and playing video games.


Oh well. I suppose I can console myself with the fact that at least I’m not as maladjusted as they are. For example, I was listening to some music the other day and the new roommate walks up and says, “I bet I can beat this song on Guitar Hero.”

Not knowing what the heck he was talking about - and feeling obligated to humor him - I said, “Oh, so it’s one of the songs on Guitar Hero, then?”

“No, I’m just saying that it if it were a song on Guitar Hero, I could totally beat it. On expert.”


Right. I couldn’t help thinking that if he put the amount of time into practicing the real instrument that he does into playing Guitar Hero, he’d be Jimi freaking Hendrix. So I suggested it.

“Oh, no way!” he replied. “I don’t even like the guitar in real life. Plus, I don’t like to practice. Too much work. I just can’t identify with that kind of work ethic, you know? Doing something over and over and spending hours and hours of your life on it? That’s just stupid.”

Stupid indeed.

19 comments:

  1. geez, how I don't want any guys like that near me. period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. God. I totally agree insomniaclolita. Those guys are worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao.
    Ahh...roommates...
    Sounds like you've got a real winner there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, he from the ward? I'm going to have to make excuses to drop in and see if I know the guy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's one sharp new roommate you have there. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL the title of this post made my day. And that's saying a lot seeing as how I'm so sick I am typing this from bed with only one eye open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Sounds like you've had some stellar roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've actually had awesome roommates up til now, and these guys aren't bad per se, just worthless.

    I'm also a little concerned about one of them reading this and getting offended. But then again I don't picture any of them being particularly into reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.andsoiwasthinking.wordpress.comJanuary 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM

    Oh geez. People like that piss me off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Hahaha. A real winner indeed!

    Great blog, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't find a roommate to save my life and you've got ones appearing out of thin air? I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can have him if you want. I will gladly donate him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Next time you talk to him, preface it by yelling "Dude looks like a lady!" and watch the reaction. I guarentee at least amusement if not a discussion you weren't ready for a while.
    Yep, i'm heaps drunk. soz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. brilliant. you captured it perfectly! lol, i'll be back

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.