Monday, December 29, 2008

How I saved Christmas OR Family Christmas parties are a drag

Does anyone else have a weird extended family? My immediate family is weird enough, but my extended family is out of control. I promised my aunt I’d write about our annual Christmas party, so here goes:

It all began many years ago when Grandma and Grandpa Barben got married and had a bunch of kids. And then their kids had a bunch of kids. And then their kids had a bunch of kids. Then one day, someone got the bright idea to squish all four generations into one place every year for a Christmas party.

So each year we get together to participate in holiday festivities, eat and pry into each other’s business.



This year, as part of the festivities there was a piñata, which meant a lot of little kids took turns swinging a bat, which also meant somebody got hit in the face with said bat. Merry Christmas, sucker. And when it broke open, it turns out the piñata was filled with candy and – of course – squirt guns. It was freezing outside and now all the little kids were armed with squirt guns. If I had had a nickel for every time a small relative ran past and squirted water on my crotch, I could’ve bought myself a plane ticket out of there.



Next, Grandma Barben has always been a little eccentric, and has gotten even more so in her old age. At what could only be described as the pinnacle of the Barben Christmas Spectacular, Grandma pulled out a giant red bag full of presents and gave one to each of us. We all unwrapped our presents at the same time and when the flurry of paper shreds had cleared I couldn’t believe my eyes. Or my ears.

Grandma had given each and every one of us, adults and children alike, a hand puppet that looked like a dog, cow or frog that respectively barked, mooed or croaked Christmas carols.



I can just picture Grandma walking into some store and saying, “I would like 50 of the most annoying Christmas presents you have to give to my family,” and the store clerk eagerly replying, “Well you won’t believe what I have in store for you!”

So now there were 50 different hand puppets in one room, most of them operated by little children, all croaking, mooing and barking different Christmas carols at the same time. If you believe in hell, I picture it being a lot like that, only hotter, and with more pitchforks. I thought I had died and really was in hell when the sounds of electronic animal noises crescendoed into a huge clamorous roar. I almost had a nervous breakdown.

The thing that almost put me over the edge was the fact that since I was staying with my parents and younger siblings, I knew that a good portion of those puppets were following me home to torment me for the rest of my break. So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I disposed of my puppet quickly, and I will never tell where I hid the remains. Sorry, Grandma. A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do when it comes to his sanity. I figure she’ll never find out since I don’t think she even knows what a blog is.

Once my fiendish puppet was out of the way, in the days following I became a Christmas-carol-hand-puppet-animal assassin, picking off the remaining puppets one by one. If anybody left their puppet unattended it was soon wearing concrete shoes and sinking to the bottom of the Rio Grande.

So that’s how I saved Christmas, and I can’t wait until next year’s Christmas party. I'm not sure this year's can be topped.

8 comments:

  1. Haha. Good to know that someone else has crazy relatives. But you've got me beat—I don't picture myself having to turn into a animal-hand-puppet assassin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that's amazing.
    too bad you can't save one to get your roommates with. granted, that would probably turn bad if mark or jared ever got a hold of it, and then you would never find a moment of sanity....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious...I saw the puppet-murderous look in your eyes when the bark/croak/mooing began... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 91- year old grandmother has convinced herself that I must be a lesbian ( a word she whispers because a lady would never say something so dirty!) because I graduated college and never got married. Every Christmas she likes to bring it up.
    You may still have me beat though-- at least she gives us all cash for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Merry Christmas, sucker" = classic.
    I just discoverd your blog and I am hooked.
    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job taking the law into your hands and saving Christmas. kristen ruined christmas here by letting me guess what she got me, which I promptly guessed in 1 try. she's a bad liar so there were no surprises this year :)

    barking christmas carol puppets sound terrifying

    ReplyDelete
  7. I.Love.Your.Blog. lol Seriously, this family posting is just too hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowww first post i read and im hooked already..your grandma is too cute for giving you that, i should get the same puppets just to annoy people..

    so where did she get it? lol

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.