Monday, October 6, 2008

Re-recording life

I was thinking about it and thank goodness that when you’re leaving a message on someone’s phone you can go back and re-record it if you mess up.

Like when you get done you can press pound and it will say “If you’re satisfied press this key, if you want to re-record your message press this key.”

This came in handy one day when I was calling this girl and while I was leaving the message my voice cracked. It went something like this: “Hey just give me a call back when you have TiMe.”

I was mortified. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to quickly press pound and I got to go back and re-record it. Otherwise that humiliating moment would have been digitally preserved forever, cause who’s gonna erase a ridiculous message like that? I can picture it:

Girl #1: “I’m so bored. What should we do?”

Girl #2: “You wanna listen to that voicemail message again? It’s hilarious. I mean, go through puberty already! What a dork!”

Luckily I was saved by the power of pressing pound. Man, I love that feature. It’s a lifesaver. I wish I could do that with other things in life. Like, the next time I’m having a conversation with some girl and I realize “Oh, man. That sounded creepy,” I would simply press pound on my phone-of-life and give it another shot, re-recording it until I say the smoothest thing possible.

I would re-record a lot of stuff, believe you me. I would re-record all the times I fell on the ice or slipped on a wet floor or tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. I would re-record all the times I’ve tried to go in the “out” door or walked into something. I would re-record all the times I've called someone by the wrong name. I would re-record all the times I’ve asked someone when their due date was and what the sex of their child was only to realize they aren’t pregnant, just a little overweight. I would re-record the times I’ve made a “your mom” joke and then found out that the person’s mother was dead.

I would pretty much be the smoothest person ever. But I guess where’s the fun in that? I know I’d be sad if everyone else suddenly got a phone-of-life and became suddenly smooth. I like laughing at other people just as much as they like laughing at me.

Just be aware that if you leave me a message and your voice cracks, I'm never deleting it.

5 comments:

  1. i'm glad you don't have a phone-of-life. its those moments where you (and by you, i mean anyone for that matter) do something totally unsmooth or awkward that true friendship can be formed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just watched the movie 'Next', which was cool in concept and shocking in execution. But Nicholas Cage can see 2 minutes into the future and he does that a lot - replaying until he gets the conversation right. Then he gets with like this really hot chick that's 20 years younger than him. Which I think is the moral of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the movie 'Groundhog Day'?

    Bill Murray re-does his day to the point of insanity... and he ALSO gets a hot chick at the end --- this isn't a moral, it's an equation:

    INFINITE REDOS = HOT MATE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jacob. The fun we've shared. You would never want to redo that... I miss your guts.
    And your mom.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life just wouldn't be as funny if everyone had redos.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is good for your health! Or so I have read.