Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm getting married!

I hate for people to find out about it from my blog, but I would like to announce that I am getting married. You might ask, “To whom?”

“To whomever,” is my response.

I don’t care anymore because I am burned out on dating. I can’t think of stuff to do anymore. I can’t bring myself to pay for someone else anymore. I can’t “define the relationship” ever again. Above all, I cannot have one single more conversation about school, work, family or the weather. The futility is maddening.

So I am set on settling. A miserable marriage that I rush into can’t possibly be worse than more years of dating. Plus, if you go into marriage knowing it’s going to suck, you won’t be surprised and disappointed like most people when it inevitably does suck.

Sure, I won’t be “in love,” but a few years of marriage seems to cure most people of being “in love” anyway.

I almost settled this summer. I was majoring in a subject I didn’t even like anymore, living in a new town in a house that smelled like cats with only The X-Files on DVD to keep me company. Life was looking pretty bleak. And since there are always a few women with ticking biological clocks who will marry just about anybody, I was inches away from calling one up and promising her a ring.

Luckily my 15-year-old sister intervened. She called and made fun of me until I saw reason.

Lindsey: “You’re stupid. And if you settle, your wife will most likely be just as stupid and then your kids will be doubly stupid and that’s just cruel and genetically irresponsible.”

She had a point, although she’s never had to “define” a relationship or pay for someone else’s dinner.

I guess I also don’t want to become that bitter-fun-sucker person who is always complaining, scoffing at romantic comedies and raining on everyone else’s love parades. Nobody likes that guy/girl/old man/old woman. And I suppose that somewhere out there is someone who can stand me who I can also stand.

So I gave up on my dreams of settling and have reluctantly returned to the dating game and it’s miserable. So far, this one girl made me watch High School Musical. It was terrible, man. It was just as bad as I imagined it. And then the next day she told me that she didn’t think we should go on dates anymore. I just said, “I wish you had told me that before I watched High School Musical.”

Expect an announcement in the mail soon.

5 comments:

  1. You watched High School Musical? Oh gosh ...
    I know, I used to be an advocate for the movie, but then I realized the only reason I ever watched it was to make fun of it.
    How did I discover this? I tried watching it when I was at home. After about five minutes, I turned off the TV.
    However, that girl does sound like she's going to bring you tons of happiness, so don't give up on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch - yah high school musical is like worst date movie ever/in general. granted it is fun to watch it for the sole purpose of making fun of it. you should try the "duck pond date". its right there on campus and the only thing you really have to pay for is old bread to throw at them (the ducks that is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the solution is to marry someone that's very hot and very sleazy. Because by the time you can't stand her anymore she will inevitably leave you. And problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dating doesnt have to be stressful and expensive. if you find a way to get it just right you wont have much else to worry about. girls that are going to make you dish out half a paycheck for a good time arent worth your time. especially if theyre going to make you watch high school musical afterwards.

    ReplyDelete